CNC Applications (Recommended Freeware)

All types of topics and discussions can be found here.

Re: FREE Complete CNC Applications (not trial)

Postby roller » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:31 pm

That's look like a cool solution and sounds like it will be especially easy to get it working with a Zen! Plus keep us posted when you hit Beta. I am personally very interested in arduino support too because ironically the only machine suitable in my house for CNC control is an old laptop. When it dies I need to go USB or buy another machine and it seems like such a waste to buy more machines as I already have a PC graveyard here.

Now if someone would just do some CAM software for Mac I would be in heaven - I guess 3D printing is more popular with designers which is why its a prominent platform for their software. :cry: oh well
roller
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Postby calexander » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Just like roller said, we too would be interested in beta testing the application with you. You may already know, we resell software of this kind on the store website and if it fits the minimum requirements, we can offer you the same setup, where your software would be 'bundled' as part of a CNC DIY 0707 or 1212 Software Package. Being that it is designed using a Zen system, there may be some other interesting applications too.

Let us know!
calexander
Zen Toolworks Official

Zen Model: More than one
Other CNC Info: 0707 1212 3DP

Postby wodkreso » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:28 am

Haha Clint, well, honestly, I wanted even to contact you about it when the app is done. So, we'll surely be in touch.

Kreso
wodkreso
Normal User

Re: CNC Applications (Recommended Freeware)

Postby ejoso » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:26 pm

Hey Kreso - what's the status of your app nowadays? I just looked at your site and it shows as Alpha. Are you still working on it?
ejoso
Normal User

Postby jackspace » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:27 pm

Yes, I am at that point where I want software that creates toolpaths that don't waste time by going over each and every part of the material. Of course I've looked at the Vectric offerings and dream to be able to one day afford something like their ASPIRE or even the V-Carve Pro package, but I'm afraid I've already spent my budget on the hardware. :?: Anyone know of anything OPEN SOURCE/Freeware that can do this? :?: I can run in any OS.
jackspace
Normal User

Other CNC Info: Started on 7x12 5inZ June 5 2011

Postby skrubol » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:58 pm

The Gcode optimizer link earlier now just points to a zip with the source code. All the downloads for Opti-QT can be found here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a7f5 ... f0ef4e165f
I can't get it to work on Win 7 though. Drag a .nc file onto it and it just hangs. After several minutes it quits and leaves a 0 byte output file.
skrubol
Forum Resident

Postby johntech » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 pm

Stickfont
http://www.ncplot.com/stickfont/stickfont.htm

This program converts text to G-Code using a single stroke font. There are many cases where this is preferable to using True Type fonts particularly when the lettering needs to be fairly small. To use this program simply fill in the settings for the text to convert and the G-Code output then click "Save as G-Code" or "Save as DXF". The GCode header and footer settings can contain any additional program blocks that may be required by your particular control.

Additional fonts can be added any time and can be easily created using any text editor.
StickFont v1.1 is FREE

Updated!
New features for version 1.1
Text on Arc - This version adds the ability to create text on an arc.
Mirroring - You can now flip the text output in either the X or Y axis.
Character Spacing - There is a new slider control that allows you to adjust the spacing between characters.
Save As DXF - Write the output file as a DXF drawing file.
Convert True Type fonts to CHR fonts - Instantly create CHR font files from any True Type font.
Decimal Places - Select 1 to 5 decimal places for the G-Code output.

StickFont Font Pack - New!
This font pack contains 14 additional fonts for StickFont.

Enjoy

John
johntech
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Postby modilion » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:56 am

PyCAM http://pycam.sourceforge.net/ works well enough for CAM software, and I love OpenSCAD http://www.openscad.org/
modilion
New User

Postby bader357 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:20 am

Free 3D CAD Direct Modeling Software.
Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 4.0 is a popular 3D CAD choice for leaders in product
design who have short design cycles and frequent one-off designs. Its speed, flexibility and
responsiveness to change also make it the ideal tool for short-series production runs.

Download this free 3D CAD software and create assemblies with up to 60 unique parts.
Use it as long as you like. Once you’ve registered and downloaded the software,
it’s yours to use indefinitely.

DL
http://www.ptc.com/products/creo-elements-direct/modeling-express/

[img]slide4.jpg[/img] [img]slide5.ipg[/img]
Attachments
slide5.jpg
slide5.jpg (69.33 KiB) Viewed 5791 times
slide4.jpg
slide4.jpg (44.96 KiB) Viewed 5791 times
bader357
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Postby roller » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:45 am

Doesn't Creo require internet for the free version work. That was annoying so I passed. I have never understood the appeal of Openscad but it has a huge following so i know I must be missing something everyone else is loving.
roller
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

x