Laser attachment

All types of topics and discussions can be found here.

Laser attachment

Postby bluemax » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:36 pm

I received an email a while back about a jtech laser attachment for my 12 x12 Zen. I have a Mach 3 controler. I emailed Xin to find out when one might be available but I think he is working on an arduino version. Has anyone tried to hook up this laser to their Zen and if so is it difficult. I'd like to get it thru Xin because he has helped me in the past. I don't won't to tackle this if it is difficult to set up. Also I was curious if there is still an aluminum upright upgrade for the 12 x 12 machine. Thanks
bluemax
Normal User

Re: Laser attachment

Postby bjmxr88 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi Bluemax,
I just wrote you a reply to your email a minute ago, but to answer some of your questions here as well...
We are still launching the laser attachment. I know it has taken longer than expected, but we went a little farther with it than we had initially planned. The attachemtn will be compatible with both Arduino and Mach3, however we are working on some software that will be compatible with our Arduino controller only. This does not mean all is lost as there is already tutorials for using the laser with Mach3 available for either cutting or engraving images. We will make sure all of this gets spelled out at the time of launch. It should not be a very difficult process, and if you were able to succesfully get your CNC running, you shouldn't have a problem adding the laser. We are always here to help too, so don't worry.

As for the Aluminum Gantry for your 12x12 we o still have them available and they can be found here: (assuming you have our standard "milling" height gantry and not the 3d version)
http://www.zentoolworks.com/product_inf ... cts_id=262

Thanks!
bjmxr88
Normal User

Zen Model: None or Other

Postby bluemax » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:03 am

Thanks for the response. I have a birthday coming up and I thought I might be able to buy this for it. Anyway I looked at the Jtech site to get an idea on the hook up but the TB6560 board they show is different than the one I got from you guys. They talk about a p17 plug ( 3rd up from the bottom) but mine is only p1 through p4. My p1 plugs (2) are for the limit switches for the table and head travels. My p2 thru p4 plugs are open. Anyway I'ld like to purchase the set-up from you as soon as your ready. Please don't take too long as I am of advanced age and a sport pilot so my days are numbered.
bluemax
Normal User

Postby temptat » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:10 pm

Several months ago I bought an "el cheapo" laser hoping to attach it to my 12x12. It is still sitting in the box. What else would I need to hook it up. Board? Software?
Since these types of lasers are getting pretty popular among CNC user ("El cheapo laser" on youtoube) I'd like to see mor info on them since I know next to nothing
about them.
Thanks for yopur time, Frank
temptat
New User

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Postby bluemax » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Just an update to my laser experience. I bought the beta version of the Zen Laser (Jtech) and have gotten it running. BJ was a great help in getting everything to work together. This is the HUGE advantage to working with a USA company. I'm sure I never would have gotten thru this without him. A big thank you. My machine was an older machine with a mach 3 control. I bought the arduino card and did a switching arrangement so I could run Mach 3 to mill ( nice program) and arduino for laser ( PWM control). We had to learn what works on what to get it to run correctly but I think he is all set now. Don't have any qualms about getting this to run. He has the knowledge. I have also talked to J Tech and they were very helpful . Another set of good people. In conclusion, if you are looking for a good alternative to the cheap Chinese machines I would recommend this. The laser is not as powerful but I'm not sure you want that big a machine from their factories and not knowing if something is going to go wrong.
bluemax
Normal User

Postby bluemax » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:16 am

Another update on my effort. Originally I had a old mach 3 board that went bad during this whole process. I had to buy a mach 3 breakout board and rewire the setup because I have to share the motor drivers. I use a set of switches to switch between the mach 3 and the arduino driven laser with the pwm control. If I had to do it over again I would have done this in the first place. If anyone needs pictures of the switching set up I'll try and explain it and supply some pictures.
bluemax
Normal User

Return to General Discussions

x