Upgrading / replacing attachment point for Z-Axis on my 7x12

All types of topics and discussions can be found here.

Re: Upgrading / replacing attachment point for Z-Axis on my

Postby jblakey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:09 am

So, got 'er done. It's not great, but it's super solid, and it fits (barely).

Got a chunk of aluminum from MetalMart (local metal supply place that sells offcuts). Did a bit of design, and marked the holes to be drilled with a carbide v-bit using my cnc. Drilled those holes (using cutting fluid and my drill press). Drill holes too big to tap with 1/4" tap, so I had to tap them 5/16", which worked OK. The aluminum was soft, so that worked out.

Once I tried to mount the thing I discovered four screws hiding behind the z-axis assembly. Counter-sunk the inner two, and then drill relief 'notches' for the other two on the back of the new aluminum piece. Attached the aluminum piece with lock-tite all over the screws into the PVC.

Then I drilled some holes in the z-axis assembly to mount it to the mounting plate. I was a little off (wish I could have used the CNC for that, but oh well, it fits). Four bolts (with their heads ground down to fit inside the z-axis assembly), four washers, and it's in place. Nice and solid.

I had to epoxy a little tab of metal to the new aluminum mounting plate to get the x-axis home switch to engage properly. The new mounting plate is wider than the z-axis used to be. I also had to adjust my machine parameters in LinuxCNC. Lost under an inch on the X-axis (currently at 12.75").

I would have liked to have gotten a better spread on the up-down of the attaching bolts, but it seems very solid already, and I figure the stress will come when the CNC pushes down, not up, so it'll lever the z-axis assembly up towards the new plate, not away.

I would love to just replace the entire z-assembly (and z-axis assembly mounting uprights) with tapped aluminum, but that's a little outside my skill level...

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
IMG_0950.JPG
IMG_0947.JPG
IMG_0946.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Postby jblakey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:12 am

Here's one more of the z-axis home switch fix...

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
IMG_0954.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Postby johntech » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:01 pm

Looks like you did a great job !!

When I get my Big mill built , I'm going to revamp the 12x12. Recut the Y axis mounts from aluminum and add a slotted table top. I will keep this for making small parts for my model trains and such. It's been such a great machine for learning and making small parts!! Starting to collect and melt down scrap aluminum so I'll have lots to play with.

I forget who posted them a few years back but there were drawings for a 4th axis I want to make. I think I still have it bookmarked.

Even though I will have a bigger mill, the 12x12 still has a place in my shop!!

John
johntech
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Previous

Return to General Discussions

x