Upgrading / replacing attachment point for Z-Axis on my 7x12

All types of topics and discussions can be found here.

Upgrading / replacing attachment point for Z-Axis on my 7x12

Postby jblakey » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:35 am

Hi guys,

I'm still using my Zen on a weekly basis, and it's holding up fine, except for one thing. I've been moving the Z-Axis up by one set of screw holes to get that extra little bit of clearance. I then move it back down when I want to mill a very thin material (like brass). I've only done this about 5-6 time, but my holes on the Z-Axis are already getting stripped. I've been thinking of trying to put some threaded inserts in there, but I think it's probably too thin a wall for that.

My other thought was to add a plate across the two sides of the Z-Axis attachment point, and then put threaded inserts into that (or use aluminum, which would be nicer), and then bolt the z-axis flat-on-flat to that plate. Would be easier to move up and down, and the permanent threads should make it more resilient.

Anyone see any problems with this? Do you think it would lead to more flex on my machine's Z-Axis (which is already not it's strongest feature)?

Alternatively, I could just drill some more holes into the pvc, but that seems like I'd just be pushing off the problem for future Jason to fix.

Bonus - here are some pics of some recent output. Simple stuff, but fun.

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
IMG_0458.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0437.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Re: Upgrading / replacing attachment point for Z-Axis on my

Postby jblakey » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:38 am

Oh, here's a pic showing one side of the screws that I'm talking about - might make things easier.

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
IMG_0392.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Postby bjmxr88 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:24 pm

Jason,
As it appears you have found, the PVC isn't the best for threading/unthreading fasteners over and over again. Honestly the first time is the most secure and every time after that the threads in the holes get slightly more sloppy. I like the idea you have of making a plate from aluminum to join the 2 bearing supports, and by either threading holes into it or drilling and using screws/nuts, you would refasten your z-axis to it. One thing you might consider, while it may reduce your X-travel slightly is to spread the x-axis bearing supports further apart. This might help add some rigidity if you can afford the slight loss in travel.

Thanks for sharing the projects! Looking great!

Best,
B.J.
bjmxr88
Normal User

Zen Model: None or Other

Postby jblakey » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:43 am

Hi BJ,

spreading the vertical supports sounds like a good idea (insert obligatory that's what she said joke here:)) I just wish I knew somebody around with a CNC capable of working 1/4" aluminum. Anyone know of any mail order places? I'm sure I could come up with the dxf.

Alternately, I was thinking that slightly larger screws might fix this problem as well (at least temporarily). I could then move my z-axis permanently to the slightly more up position and then mount a small riser board on the spoil board for when I need it... although this solution seems like less fun:)

Thanks,
jason
jblakey
CNC Addict

Postby reproparts » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:32 pm

I have the same spindle. Nice isn't it. Why can't you just move the spindle itself up using the 4 bolts that attach it to the carriage to get more clearance? Looks like you have it at the lowest possible position now. On mine those 4 bolts have nuts so there is no issue with PVC wear.

Andy
reproparts
Normal User

Postby jblakey » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:32 am

I Can move the spindle up, but that doesn't buy me any more clearance under the z-axis. I've been moving the entire z-axis up/down by removing those 8 screws, move it up one screw-hole distance, and then screwing it in with 6 screws. Gets me an extra bit under the z for when I'm working with high clamps or thick material.

It is a very nice spindle, nice design. I'm glad I got it.

Thanks,
jason
jblakey
CNC Addict

Postby myklhn » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:48 pm

Which spindle is that? Can you give a link to it?

Thanks.
myklhn
Normal User

Other CNC Info: ZTW 7x12 base model

Postby jblakey » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Got it off eBay... it was called the Sable 2015 spindle.

Thanks,
jason

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ER11-Spindle-fo ... 1132852702
jblakey
CNC Addict

Postby bjmxr88 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Hi Jason,
If you could produce the dxf of exactly what you want, I could cut the plate out on my waterjet table from 1/4" aluminum no problem. I don't think it will cost too much seeing as it will be aluminum and only one small part. Your avatar says Canada, but if we ship USPS, it shouldn't be too bad.
Let me know what you think.
B.J.
bjmxr88
Normal User

Postby jblakey » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi BJ,

that's very generous of you! I appreciate the offer, and when my sorry attempt to make one using my ham-fisted shop skills, I may take you up on it!:)

Thanks again,
jason
jblakey
CNC Addict

Next

Return to General Discussions

x