Spindle Issue...PLEASE HELP!

All types of topics and discussions can be found here.

Spindle Issue...PLEASE HELP!

Postby arcadiax » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:09 am

Hi guys,

It's me again. This forum is really way too quiet and seems nobody is around...

I just encountered another initial, noob problem that I am sort of stuck on...

The spindle does not spin upon initial test. It has not been connected to the microboard yet, just directly to the power supply unit.

The power supply unit LED comes on, but the fan and spindle do not spin at all. I am not sure if it is a soldering issue with the spindle, but even so, at the least maybe the fan should spin on the power supply? It is currently at 115V as following the instructions.

There is a small white plastic screw voltage thing on the power supply unit area where the connectors are. I tried turning that clockwise towards the + (I assume that means more voltage) but still nothing happened, so I turned it back to its default position, counter clockwise.

I triple checked all of my connections and they all seem rather straight forward and correct. There was one small aspect the instructions did not match up. It mentioned the 115V power cord (Supplied by ZenCNC) one cord having imprints and other cord no imprints. I could not find any imprints on either cord.

For the spindle cords, I used 14 AWG wires for extension as the original spindle wires were too short to reach the power supply - following the instructions.

Anyone at ZenCNC can help me please? When you guys are around, you're like angels, and than you all vanish for weeks lol...

I've attached an image to show how thick my soldering is. The joints are about twice as thick. If this is the issue, I can cut and resolder, but the thing is, even the fan on the power unit does not turn on? does the power unit require the spindle microboard? It does not say that in the instructions regarding initial power test though.

Please help!

- Steven
Attachments
copy.jpg
- Steven, the Skywalker
arcadiax
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Re: Spindle Issue...PLEASE HELP!

Postby johntech » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:08 pm

Steven

Silly question... So you have a power core that plugs into the wall and the other end should connect to the AC input on the power supply. Has that been done? There is usually a switch on the power supply that says 110/220. I t should be set to 110 if you are in the USA and connected to a US 120 volt wall outlet. Could you take pictures of your power supply connections? Do you have a DC volt meter to check the + / - output of the power supply? Red on + and black on -.

Post that info and we can go from there..... Sorry fort the late reply

John
johntech
Forum Moderator

Postby arcadiax » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply, it's never too late as any elp or response I get, I take it in great value and respect.

In fact I just solved the issue late last night on my own while examining the issue for 1-2 hours. It was a inner brushings issue. I do not know the exact terminology but the 2 brushings with the springs, they were not touching the spindle at all so actually no power was being transferred in the last stage.

This was my own fault actually because when I first received the kit, I opened up the spindle out of curiosity and also wanted to see if I could extend the shaft. I repair and maintain my own dremels so I imagined it would be similar inside but just wanted to take a look.

Unbeknownst to me, I had forgotten the original orientation of everything and when trying to reassemble, the magnetic brushings kept getting pushed in the way by the little springs so I just hooked them both back as there were 2 tiny little plastic tabs. I thought that was what the purpose of the tabs were but no, that caused the little brushings to completely fall out of connection with the central copper brushings once I closed the lid.

Very dumb and ignorant on my part but lesson well learned as I have become even more familiar with spindle design now! :)

it's working flawlessly now, very powerful and quiet these spindles are.

- Steven
- Steven, the Skywalker
arcadiax
Normal User

Postby jblakey » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:11 am

Hi Steven,

cool! that great - glad you got that working! On to the next challenge:)

jason
jblakey
CNC Addict

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Return to General Discussions

x