USB to Printer port driver

All types of topics and discussions can be found here.

USB to Printer port driver

Postby johntech » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi Guys
I just found a new, new to me, interface for running the ZTW machines from a USB port. It's called UC100 and the information can be found here:
http://cncdrive.com/UC100.html The one I have came with a USB cable, a db25 connector and a gender changer. The USB cable is plugged into the computer and the other end is plugged into the db25 connector. The gender changer is plugged into the db25 connector, and that is plugged into your controller. Load the driver from the site listed above and there you go. I am running Mach 3 and needed to choose the UC100 when the program first starts and so far everything works just as if you had a printer port plugged in. Now I'm not tied to the old boat anchor computer which relies on the printer port to use my ZTW 12x12.

Enjoy

HINT: Maybe ZTW will carry this as an added feature to this great line of machines. What do you think Xin??

John
johntech
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Re: USB to Printer port driver

Postby Xin » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:35 pm

John

I am wondering how many folks still using Mach3 for there hobby level cnc controlling.

I think it is still a valid choice of using Mach3 on a milling machine, such as Grizzly mini mill CNC conversion, but on all hobby level carving machine kits, Arduino with Grbl is probably a better option now. There are a few suppliers approached us for their Mach3 USB drivers, but so far I am not satisfied with the performance, especially features other than simple milling operations, like probing. I will keep trying when there is an opportunity.

Xin
zentoolworks@gmail.com
Xin
Zen Toolworks Official

Zen Model: More than one

Re: USB to Printer port driver

Postby johntech » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:51 pm

Xin
I think you are right about the controllers. Now that Mach 4 has come out, a lot of guys on the Mach sites are moving to Mach 4. The main problem is cost. With the new Mach 4, you have to buy the program. Then you have to buy the controller plug-in and there aren't that many on the market yet. I have been using Mach 3 since the day I bought my 12x12. I know my way around it, some what. I did try the UC100 tonight and most stuff in Mach 3 works. I tried the probing and something just wasn't right. The machine would move but the probing didn't always work. It works every time with the printer cable. It may be how the UC100 is wired internally.

With the Arduino coming on the market at low prices, it wouldn't surprise me if someone didn't come up with something using it.

I do have to find something that will work with the USB because my old Pentium fans are starting to growl. I'm sure the hard drives aren't too far behind and it's just too slow to use as a cad program when not milling. I can't even buy parts for it if it did die.

Thanks for checking out my Aluminum milling and thanks for responding about the UC100.

John Frankforther
johntech
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Return to General Discussions

x