Upgraded my 12x7 to 12x12!

All types of topics and discussions can be found here.

Upgraded my 12x7 to 12x12!

Postby jblakey » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:22 am

Hi guys,

just finished upgrading my 12x7 to a 12x12! I still have to make a new table for it (16"x16") and a new platform (26"x26"), but that'll be the easy part.

I was looking at my CNC a couple of months ago and wondering why it couldn't have a longer y-axis. The only thing stopping me was getting the lead screw and the linear rails. So, I emailed Xin and he was able to supply the necessary bits. I then measured the rails, and they're just about 17 7/8" long. Next up, a visit to my local plastics place (CANUS Plastics, very easy to deal with) for a couple of pieces of 3/8 delrin, 17 7/8" by 2 inches. Note: 17 7/8" is just a smidge short, and 2 inches is just a smidge too much, but it can be dealt with. The measurements should probably have been metric, probably 455mm x 125mm, but I got the new side pieces to work.

Anyhow, drilled some end holes on the pieces (using a jig I made from a few bits of scrap wood and the existing end piece). Then I drilled the side holes (made them a little larger than necessary to allow for some adjustment). Screwed everything back together, then unscrewed the front piece and added a couple of thin plastic shims (to make up for the 17 7/8" being a little short). That looks like it's worked perfectly.

Long story short, I've now got 12.8" of travel on Y versus 7" before the upgrade. I'm anxious to give it a try, but it'll have to wait until I get my new table done (which shouldn't be long). Hopefully, my stability won't suffer unacceptably from the increased axis length. I do bolt the machine down to help with rigidity.

Thanks to Xin for making the parts availble for my custom upgrade!

Jason
Attachments
IMG_1399.JPG
IMG_1392.JPG
IMG_1396.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Re: Upgraded my 12x7 to 12x12!

Postby Sha » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:13 am

Nice setup / work Jason.

I ordered the spindle and may need your help to get the template for mounting plate.

Thank you.
Sha
Normal User

Postby jblakey » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:54 am

No problem, here's the DXF, let me know if you need anything else..

I used a 2 flute 1/8" endmill and 3/8 delrin - if you have the same materials/setup, you could just run my cut file (center start).

THanks,
jason
Attachments
Zen_Sable_Spindle_Mount.dxf
(16.46 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
jblakey
CNC Addict

Postby Sha » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:26 pm

Thank you Jason.

Is it mm or inches?
Sha
Normal User

Postby jblakey » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:49 pm

Hi Sha,

it's in MM.

Thanks,
jason
jblakey
CNC Addict

Postby jblakey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:22 am

Bolted down the CNC to a new 24"x24" piece of 1/2 MDF, and started working on the table. It's a 17"x17" piece of 3/4" MDF (the old surface that the CNC was bolted to).

Ran into problems cutting the table. The first one I cut, I centered the holes for attaching the table to the underneath slider points. This did not work out. It attached fine, but the table did not stay under the spindle the entire table length, if you see what I mean.

So, cut another one that has the attachment holes off center (by quite a bit). Having the gantry towards the back of the table works better for smaller tables, I've learned.

So, as you can see in the picture, a good part of the table is un-supported at y-axis > 7 or so. I'm going to fix this by adding a couple of supports to the insides of the new delrin runners that I just put on. They don't need to be in contact all the time, just when milling in the upper Y area.

Anyhow, that's the upgrade so far. Now I need to go find my Teflon chunks left over from my telescope project...

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
IMG_1416.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Postby jblakey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:47 am

Or I might add a couple of these flange mounted transfer bearings (with a riser underneath them of just the right height to get them to just touch the table).

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
flange-mounted.png
flange-mounted.png (19.53 KiB) Viewed 1826 times
jblakey
CNC Addict

Postby johntech » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:39 am

Nice job Jason.

I have just upgraded to a new machine ($$$$), that will do everything I want to do for now and the future.

I too will be upgrading my 12x12 machine. I would like to upgrade the PVC table top to aluminum slotted. I may need to replace the mounting brackets for the Y to handle the top.
All of the electronics for the motors and power supply along with my watchdog board will be mounted in a metal box and all new shielded cables with connectors will be added.
I may also replace the micro switches with better sensors for homing.

It may be a small machine but it is still very useful. Xin did a nice job when he designed it but it is due for some needed upgrades.

Keep us posted on your progress. I will do the same as I upgrade mine.

Thanks for sharing

John
johntech
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Postby jblakey » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:29 am

Hi John,

upgrading to a new machine is calling out to me too (shakeoko 3 XXL, I'm looking at you), but I'm sticking with the Zen until I have an actually need to upgrade:)

Finished up my new table last night. Laid out the table, drilled all the pilot holes on the CNC, then unscrewed the table and brought it over to my drill press. Using a nice new 11/32 drill bit, drilled all the holes. I figure this saved a lot of time over using the CNC to do it (with a 1/8" bit). Screwed in a bunch of 1/4x20 threaded inserts (mostly flanged, but some not flanged where they came out on the same line as the screw holes to attach the table to the supports). Note: the holes are pretty tight, probably should have gone with a slightly larger drill bit.

Here's where I got my inserts from:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/pa ... 76&p=45375

They're local (to me), and have good prices on stuff like this.

Screwed it back down, and I think it's ready to go. Need to get a dial indicator and do a level check still, though. 86 screw-down points, 1.5" between points.

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
IMG_1425.JPG
IMG_1903.JPG
IMG_1899.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Postby johntech » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:42 pm

Looks good Jason. I'm impressed. I'll have to look into those inserts as I can use them on the big mill too. Thanks for sharing!!

I just stopped at the plastics store today to get material for making my new dust shoe. Those high speed routers throw stuff everywhere!! I might make on for the ZEN too.
The next step is to make the 4th axis that was posted on there a long while back.

John
johntech
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Next

Return to General Discussions

x