Home & Limit Switch Mounting Examples

All types of topics and discussions can be found here.

Home & Limit Switch Mounting Examples

Postby calexander » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:15 pm

This topic is dedicated to those who have some pictures of different mounting techniques for holding their Home and Limit switches in place on their Zen machine.

NOTE - No offense meant and I'm sure you'll understand, but responding posts that are not sharing an example will likely be removed. We don't want to fill this topic with more replies than there are examples so those who really are trying to figure these things out have a clean area to go to. The Wiki site is another good place for this info...

We'll copy over what we can find in the forum here, but if you have a picture of the way you mount your switches, please share them here!

Related Links:
http://wiki.zentoolworks.com/index.php/ ... t_switches
http://pminmo.com/home-and-limit-switches
calexander
Zen Toolworks Official

Zen Model: More than one
Other CNC Info: 0707 1212 3DP

Re: Home & Limit Switch Mounting Examples

Postby calexander » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:01 am

Here are the original photos I took showing an quick way of mounting the limit switches.

While this way worked fine, it's not as clean as I would like it.
Attachments
General 12x12.JPG
Front View - you can see the X and Z limit switches mounted on the Left Inner Gantry and the Z axis upper support respectively
Y Axis Limit Switch 06.JPG
Y axis limit switch is fastened to the Y axis rear support (a).
TB6560 Mounted Conn 00.JPG
TB6560 controller card with limit switch connections at bottom; mounted with duct tape onto the back of the 1212
calexander
Zen Toolworks Official

Zen Model: More than one
Other CNC Info: 0707 1212 3DP

Postby Sparky » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:03 am

essele wrote:Microswitches just seem inaccurate to me (fine for limits though), so I was assuming slotted optical sensors would be good although there is the risk of dust interfering, and I can't seem to find any repeatability figures.

I thought so too, but decided to experiment and have stayed with them. While I don't have any figures to report, I set X and Y home, bored a hole there with a 1mm endmill into the table. After cutting a few projects I can lower the same bit right into that hole without hitting the sides. I used the inexpensive microswitches with an integrated plastic lever. I suspect the repeatability accuracy of the microswitches might be even greater than the rigidity of the machine allows. Grab opposite corners of your worktable and see how much you can wiggle it. As an example, I used this setup with the two-sided machining of the Walthers PPK pistol model I posted a while back. It required very tight tolerances to come out without a noticeable offset between halves. [Edit: actually I can't be sure that I re-homed between halves, so that example isn't necessarily a good one]
HomeX.jpg
HomeX.jpg (33.91 KiB) Viewed 12557 times

I guess the main point I wanted to make is to encourage experimentation. When I do I'm more often than not blown away by the machine's capabilities.
Sparky
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Postby johntech » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:04 am

Here is a diagram I am using for my Limit switches on the TB6560 3 axis board. The one switch I use for the Z axis is for the Z up limit.
Attachments
Limit.jpg
Limit.jpg (12.72 KiB) Viewed 12514 times
johntech
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Part 1 - Power supply, terminal block and electronics mount

Postby SandyWalsh » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:46 pm

This will be going on the Gantry Back Enforcement Frame (P22) of my 12x12. Follow up pics will show electronics actually mounted (hopefully). I think this will work well for the power supplies. I'll continue on with limit switch mounting once this is in place.

cnc6_sm.jpg

cnc7_sm.jpg
SandyWalsh
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Postby jblakey » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:27 pm

Here's my current setup for home switches. I wanted to make it as simple as possible, and as easy as possible to replicate, so I went with 2 of the lever arm type and one normally closed momentary push button. Hopefully, the pics will speak for themselves as to placement. The only parts necessary to mount the switches were wire and some very tiny cap-head screws I got from the local hobby shop. No other parts necessary.

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
DSC07741.JPG
DSC07740.JPG
DSC07739.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Postby secretsather » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:04 am

Here's my limit switch mounting example.
Attachments
ls2.jpg
ls1.jpg
secretsather
Normal User

Postby fabelizer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:11 pm

7X7 fun!

The Z limit is up only for home.
The Y limit is one of 2 similar mountings. Bracketed to front and back frame to keep wiring stationary, with a small actuating bracket screwed to the bottom of the table in 2 places.
The X limits are mounted directly on the uprights and are activated by the moving Z carrier edge.
Attachments
Zen_Z_Limit.jpeg
Top Z only for homing. I NEED to know when the Z hits bottom!
Zen_Z_Limit.jpeg (37.72 KiB) Viewed 11160 times
Zen_Y_Limit.jpeg
Shows front 1 of 2 bracket to front frame, acctuator under table not visible.
Zen_Y_Limit.jpeg (35.96 KiB) Viewed 11160 times
Zen_7x7.jpeg
From front with 2 x switches.
Zen_7x7.jpeg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 11160 times
fabelizer
Normal User

Zen Model: None or Other
Other CNC Info: Want 12 x 12

Postby Turbo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:47 am

I got my Zen a few weeks ago, I finally got around to mounting the home and limit switches, I used some of the forum examples and a few of my own.
The limit switches were purchased from Zen - I cut the lever arm or removed it entirely.
Attachments
IMG_0186s.jpg
IMG_0180s.jpg
easy adjustment
IMG_0187s.jpg
Turbo
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 0707

Return to General Discussions

x