CNC Table Clamps

Source files covering everything from cabinets in the kitchen to creepers in the garage (attachments of gcode, 3d models, or other related material).
Forum rules
Each topic should consist of 1 single project and should contain at the very least 3 items:
  1. Picture showing the completed project
  2. Description of what it is and/or does
  3. Downloadable GCode in common format as a downloadable file (these forums support file uploads for this)

CNC Table Clamps

Postby jackspace » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:40 pm

On Thingiverse there are HUNDREDs of items that can be fabricated on a 3D printer, and a few items that can be made on our Zen CNCs. One such item is the CNC Table Clamps project: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:776

Of course the project only provides a DXF file. I'm a bit of a newbie to working with those files, so no doubt there are better ways to do this. I took the DXF file into HEEKSCAD, eliminated the largest size of the three, scaled the rest down so the clamps would be around 4 inches long, rotated it 90degrees, and double checked that the hole is indeed 5/16" so I could use a wooden dowel to fasten the halves.

CNC_Table_small_Clamps_fixed_scaled_by jackspace.dxf
DXF file
(33.31 KiB) Downloaded 495 times

I brought THAT DXF file into CAMBAM 0.82 (and let me say that version is rough around the edges but I simply can't afford to spend more on software), and set it up to do the round holes as a machining profile, then a pocketing profile, and then machining profile to cut the clamp itself out. If I had the moolah, I would splurge and get Cut3D by Vectric.com which makes it really easy to add cut-out tabs to hold your part in place; BUT I just cut the whole thing out and the sawdust held the part in place mostly.

CNC_Table_small_Clamps_fixed_scaled_by jackspace.cb
CamBam file
(29.28 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

OK, from CAMBAM, I created the tooling profiles. I used the 1/8" endmill sold by ZTW for the whole job. For material I used 1/2" plywood (I could have easily used 1/4", just know this G-Code is for 1/2") on my ZTW 12x7x5.

I use EMC2 to control my CNC so I opened the G-code in it and went from there. I pretty much ran 12 inches per minute for the whole thing and it did just fine. It took about thirty minutes to run the whole thing.

EMC2_screenshot by jackspace, on Flickr

Here's the G-Code:
CNC_Table_small_Clamps_fixed_scaled_by jackspace.ngc
G-code file
(107 KiB) Downloaded 313 times

What you get are four pieces: two for a big clamp and two for a small one. Give them a light sanding and glue them together and insert your bolt and knob/nut/wingnut and you have a pair of handy CNC Table Clamps, which you can replace when you run your router over one by accident by just cutting some new ones out:

CNC Table Clamps by jackspace, on Flickr

Cheers!
jackspace
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)
Other CNC Info: Started on 7x12 5inZ June 5 2011

Re: CNC Table Clamps

Postby roller » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Jackspace - take a look at HeeksCAD and HeeksCNC as a free alternative to CAMbam.

Your output looks rather rough - is that just the photos or are you not getting smooth output from your Zen. You might need to tweak you cut speed and depths a bit.
roller
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Return to General Code Database

x