Simple vacuum hose holder for 7x7 (part 1)

Projects and Source files that are created to extend the Zen Toolworks DIY CNC machines.
Forum rules
Each topic should consist of 1 single project and should contain at the very least 3 items:
  1. Picture showing the completed project
  2. Description of what it is and/or does
  3. Downloadable GCode in common format as a downloadable file (these forums support file uploads for this)

Simple vacuum hose holder for 7x7 (part 1)

Postby skrubol » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:23 am

vacuum4.dxf
Bottom Bracket Drawing
(7.92 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
This is a 2-piece vacuum hose holder for a 1.25" wet/dry vac hose. The model I've got is Home Depot's 'Bucket Head' that attaches to standard work buckets (I think they're 3 or 5 gal.) It's $20 and I've seen other mini vac's that use the same size hose at a similar price. The hose on the vacuum I have has one end with a flat cut, and the other end with about a 60 degree cut (no attachments.) I designed this holder to hold the 60 degree cut end, but unfortunately it holds it too far away from the cutter to be that useful by itself (part 2 will follow.)
The brackets mount to the top and bottom bottom horizontal plates between the X and Z axes (the carriage that moves horizontally but not vertically.) The bottom bracket clamps the end of the hose, and the top bracket just guides the flexible part of the hose to keep it vertical and relieve stress from the bottom bracket. The ends of the 'arms' are meant to line up with the back of the vertical plate.
You will need to drill 2 clearance holes on the side of each bracket arm for mounting screws (as well as corresponding minor diameter holes in the top and bottom plates of the carriage,) and one hole for a tightening screw in the bottom bracket. The rear hole must be at least 20mm from the back of the carriage as to clear the outer mounting screw (discovered this after cutting,) and the bottom arm must be shortened at least 1/4" or 6mm to retain full X motion (discovered this after mounting..) You'll lose 1/2" of X if you don't shorten it. Also the duckbill clamp is about twice as long as it needs to be, but there's no real reason to shorten it unless you don't want to waste stock.
G-code is for Mach 3 with 1/8" flat end mill and up to 1/2" stock. X-Y Absolute, I-J Relative. I cut this out of corian at 6ipm with 5ipm plunge (which was too fast, should have been more like 2 ipm.) Origin is at center of the hose, which on the bottom bracket is 1.625,.875 from the bottom left corner, 1.1,1.1 on the top bracket.
Attachments
vacuum bottom.tap
Bottom Bracket G-code
(16.79 KiB) Downloaded 348 times
vacuum5.dxf
Top Bracket Drawing
(6.87 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
skrubol
Forum Resident

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Re: Simple vacuum hose holder for 7x7 (part 1)

Postby Xin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:22 pm

Thank you for posting this. By any chance you can share a jpg picture with the finished project?

Xin
zentoolworks@gmail.com
Xin
Zen Toolworks Official

Zen Model: More than one

Re: Simple vacuum hose holder for 7x7 (part 1)

Postby skrubol » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:10 pm

Yes, will when I get the chance. I think there's also a missing g-code file I need to upload.
skrubol
Forum Resident

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Return to Zen Compatible Project Archive

x