Z-Axis Proximity Sensor Mount Bracket

Projects and Source files that are created to extend the Zen Toolworks DIY CNC machines.
Forum rules
Each topic should consist of 1 single project and should contain at the very least 3 items:
  1. Picture showing the completed project
  2. Description of what it is and/or does
  3. Downloadable GCode in common format as a downloadable file (these forums support file uploads for this)

Z-Axis Proximity Sensor Mount Bracket

Postby paerley » Sun May 15, 2011 11:32 pm

Here's how I've mounted my z-axis proximity sensors, and the G-Code, as well as the Inkscape file for it.

ZProxMount.JPG

ZSensorMount.png
ZSensorMount.png (2.94 KiB) Viewed 7386 times
Attachments
cutout.svg
(12.44 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
SensorMountBracket_0002.ngc
(2.99 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
paerley
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Re: Z-Axis Proximity Sensor Mount Bracket

Postby johntech » Mon May 16, 2011 12:06 am

I had a switch setup for my lower Z limit but took it off as the tool will drive into the material before the lower switch would ever trip. From your picture it looks like yours may, but I could be wrong. If you are using Mach 3, you could setup the button for the Auto Tool Zero and then you won't need it.

Nice brackets you are making though!! What bits are you using to cut the plexiglas?

John
johntech
Forum Moderator

Postby paerley » Mon May 16, 2011 12:08 am

johntech wrote:I had a switch setup for my lower Z limit but took it off as the tool will drive into the material before the lower switch would ever trip. From your picture it looks like yours may, but I could be wrong. If you are using Mach 3, you could setup the button for the Auto Tool Zero and then you won't need it.

Nice brackets you are making though!! What bits are you using to cut the plexiglas?

John

Yep, notice the light isn't lit on the lower z-limit? It's only there for the sake of 'the future'. The bit would definitely be well into the REAL table before tripping that. In fact, with my 1/2" sacrificial work surface in place, the chuck hits that before hitting the limit switch. I use a soft limit on Z to prevent deep penetration into my sacrificial surface.

I'm using a carbide 2 flute endmill for lexan.
paerley
Forum Moderator

Postby johntech » Mon May 16, 2011 12:22 am

I also finally found out about the soft limits but they only work if the soft limits button is turned on, again assuming Mach 3

What speed did you have spindle running? Feedrate? It looks like it did a nice job of cutting!!

I just got a couple 2 flute, 4 flute and bullnose bits last week but haven't got a chance to use them yet.
I'm still getting noise problems so I may need to put my controller in a metal box with shielded cables for everything. My 12x12 is a nice little bench top machine.
johntech
Forum Moderator

Postby paerley » Mon May 16, 2011 12:32 am

johntech wrote:I also finally found out about the soft limits but they only work if the soft limits button is turned on, again assuming Mach 3

What speed did you have spindle running? Feedrate? It looks like it did a nice job of cutting!!

I just got a couple 2 flute, 4 flute and bullnose bits last week but haven't got a chance to use them yet.
I'm still getting noise problems so I may need to put my controller in a metal box with shielded cables for everything. My 12x12 is a nice little bench top machine.

Well, I'm not certain as to spindle speed, haha. It was either 30 or 36 volts. 6IPM feed rate. If I run at faster than that without good clamping, I get a lot of material chatter in 1/8" lexan, too flexible. It leaves a little fuzz, but only takes a second to run a file around a piece to clean that up.

And I only use EMC2. It requires you to explicitly override the limits to move outside the defined work area.
paerley
Forum Moderator

Postby roller » Mon May 16, 2011 3:06 am

I just put my switches in the top and bottom plate of the Z axis. Just two NC buttons switches. That way the Z carriage activates it at the very top and bottom without calibration. I recessed them a little so I lose less than 5mm at each end.

I use a Z limit because I do cut it close sometimes and turn off softlimits and I would rather it pauses than hits the bottom and loses steps ruining the Z for the rest of the job.
roller
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Return to Zen Compatible Project Archive

x