ZenVac - Dust/Chip Collection

Projects and Source files that are created to extend the Zen Toolworks DIY CNC machines.
Forum rules
Each topic should consist of 1 single project and should contain at the very least 3 items:
  1. Picture showing the completed project
  2. Description of what it is and/or does
  3. Downloadable GCode in common format as a downloadable file (these forums support file uploads for this)

ZenVac - Dust/Chip Collection

Postby Sparky » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:46 pm

Warning:
The Forum Administrator wrote:This topic and selected posts were copied from an original discussion during the creation of this forum. This first post was significantly edited to include the designer's related posts and to comply with forum requirements. There are missing posts that were not copied which may cause some confusion for readers who are not aware of this fact. To view the entire discussion intact, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=340

The Original Zen Vac (v1.0)

Modeled a new version with an attached Vacuum Shoe (v2.0 beta)

Testing the v2.0 design

See v2.0 in action!

Wiki Article: http://wiki.zentoolworks.com/index.php/The_Zen_Vacuum_Boot_by_Sparky

DOWNLOADS

PDF Overview

Half-inch MDF:
ZenVacHalfInMDF.nc
(217.16 KiB) Downloaded 558 times

1/8 inch fiberboard:
ZenVacEighthIn.nc
(92.29 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
Sparky
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Re: Dust/Chip Collection

Postby Claytonc » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:27 am

I've just completed the build of this fine specimen and I've run into a problem. I have a native 12" x 12" Zen and as you can see in the picture there is a problem with things lining up. Apparently the 7x7's don’t have sides on the Z axis. Any suggestion, or should I hope for a 12x12 revision to come along? Or maybe I could get a dxf and edit it myself? Personally I would much rather let the professional do it ;)
And BTW, Nice freakin' job!
Attachments
DSC_0218.jpg
Claytonc
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Re: ZenVac - Dust/Chip Collection

Postby johntech » Mon May 16, 2011 7:20 am

Claytonc
That is a nice job. I have a 12x12 also and think you may have to move the vac hose connection to the front of the piece instead of offset to the side. That would give you more room to move in the X direction. I keep looking at your picture and wonder if there was a way to install aluminum stock on top of or the botton of the cross member support of the Z axis about 1/8" or 1/16" thick that would support the the vacuum ring assy. Possibally even make that assy smaller to stay within the confines of he Z axis support assy. I don't know, just tossing some ideas out there. I will definetly need to make one for my system. From what little I have cut so far, it DOES make a mess!

Thanks for sharing

John
Last edited by johntech on Mon May 16, 2011 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
johntech
Forum Moderator

Re: Dust/Chip Collection

Postby paerley » Mon May 16, 2011 7:28 am

Claytonc wrote:I've just completed the build of this fine specimen and I've run into a problem. I have a native 12" x 12" Zen and as you can see in the picture there is a problem with things lining up. Apparently the 7x7's don’t have sides on the Z axis. Any suggestion, or should I hope for a 12x12 revision to come along? Or maybe I could get a dxf and edit it myself? Personally I would much rather let the professional do it ;)
And BTW, Nice freakin' job!

What I did was just to notch out the hole that the dowels go through, so the screws that control the height of the chip collector pin the dowel against the z carriage rather than inside the bracket.
paerley
Forum Moderator

Postby ejoso » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:39 am

This is truly brilliant. Thanks much for sharing this design!
ejoso
Normal User

Postby ShreddinPB » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:13 pm

Hey Sparky, any chance of posting the DXF? I want to modify it for my 12x12.
I can make one from scratch, but figured it would be MUCH faster to just push/pull the one you have into the shape I want ;)
ShreddinPB
Normal User

Other CNC Info: proxon mf70

Postby Sparky » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:03 pm

DXF attached. I have had issues importing CorelDraw DXF to Cut2D, but EPS works fine. Let me know if you need another format.

Zen7Vac.dxf
(187.17 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
Sparky
Forum Moderator

Postby ShreddinPB » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:33 pm

That looks like a 3 layer design and the one in the wikki is a 2 layer?
Is this a new design or the previous one? or is this just how it is in the DXF then when you convert it to gcode two are combined?
It also seems to be missing the side mount pieces, again not a problem to recreate, was just thinking I would make a 12x12 one from your current 7x7 design so that the gcode could just be added.

Either way this will work for me I think :)
ShreddinPB
Normal User

Postby Sparky » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Actually there were a few versions including a couple with magnetic mounts and LEDs, but here's the one from the WIKI. For mounting, threading the PVC didn't work well in the long run as the threads deteriorated when the vac assembly was removed and replaced several times. There's plenty of room for improvement there.

7VacV1.dxf
(1.46 MiB) Downloaded 551 times
Sparky
Forum Moderator

Postby ShreddinPB » Tue May 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Well I got my design done, got the tool path done, going to try to cut it tonight.
This will be my first ever cnc operation!

Totally excited!

If it all works out fine I'll post it here, then start revising the mounts, I just used what has already been posted :)
ShreddinPB
Normal User

Return to Zen Compatible Project Archive

x