Building New Printer

Here is a place we can talk about using ZTW CNC platform for 3D printing. Your experience with software setup, configuration for different type of filament and etc.

Building New Printer

Postby shippo0708 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:19 pm

Possibly in the next month i want to strip out zen based printer and make a reprap style one (another one :P)

I'm looking for a simple design, but also a bigger print area than my Prusa i2
(im going to use a tinkeystruder since its the smallest extruder ive found so far)

Does anyone know of any designs that are simple but provide a bigger print area?

*I have a FireBall v90 mill so if i need custom cuts of wood i can do that :P
shippo0708
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 0707
Other CNC Info: 3D Model

Re: Building New Printer

Postby roller » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:47 pm

Mendel 90 is easily scalable and easy to build with a router though not sure if your V90 is big enough to make it completely straight forward. It's a good design from one of repraps greats. Robust and capable of decent print speeds. I make the from Acrylic/polycarb but I live in a humid climate and cannot be bothered with sealing MDF. I prefer it to other designs when oversizing and because I have a bigger CNC (1200x600) - I have made two of the so far for other and have previously made a number of printers Prusa I3, I2 (many), Zen, modified Zen, modified ultimaker.

http://reprap.org/wiki/Mendel90

There are other options if you want to go a Bowden cable extruder but I still prefer the flying head for the control it gives.
roller
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Re: Building New Printer

Postby shippo0708 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:30 am

roller wrote:
There are other options if you want to go a Bowden cable extruder but I still prefer the flying head for the control it gives.

Yea that's something i wanted to try was a cabled extruder but it just looks funky, so im going to try and make smallest footprint extruder i can find to use on my current while i save up for the next one
shippo0708
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 0707
Other CNC Info: 3D Model

Return to 3D Printing with ZTW Filament and CNC

x