Zen 3d conversion, dual extruder

Here is a place we can talk about using ZTW CNC platform for 3D printing. Your experience with software setup, configuration for different type of filament and etc.

Zen 3d conversion, dual extruder

Postby tshawkins » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Just wanted to share my 3d conversion

Aluminium bed, dual heater pannels
dual extruder using j-head hotends, extruder is printed in ABS.
Jacked up Z column, gives extra 40mm height.
Strengthend X carriage and supports, using 2mm thick alu angle bracket.
RAMPS electronics.

The printer is a little on the slow side, but its accurate as hell, and can run for long periods, i have recently finished two 36 hour prints and its now doing a 56 hour one. Its nice and reliable, does not get too hot.

In the picture its printing the main chassis for another 3d printer (printrbot simple, printed version).

20141106_090202_scaled.jpg
3d 7x12 running as factory 3d printer.
tshawkins
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)
Other CNC Info: Self build electronics

Re: Zen 3d conversion, dual extruder

Postby bjmxr88 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:19 pm

Looks like a great setup!
Which panels are you using to heat that large aluminum heat bed?
Would love to see some finished print results!

Thanks for sharing,
B.J.
bjmxr88
Normal User

Zen Model: None or Other

Re: Zen 3d conversion, dual extruder

Postby tshawkins » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:06 am

bjmxr88 wrote:Looks like a great setup!
Which panels are you using to heat that large aluminum heat bed?
Would love to see some finished print results!

Thanks for sharing,
B.J.

Im using 2 mk11b pannels driven at 28v.

The pannels are screwed to the back of the plate, with several sheets of high absorbency paper soaked in sunflower oil. There is a insulating mat below tgat to stop heat escaping from the back of the bed. Each heatbed is connected to its own 28v psu (24v psu with its output wound up a little), and is connected via an automotive relay, so that the printer controller is not responsable for routing the current.

Im still setting it up, but i have been getting some great prints off it. Its as slow as hell, but very accurate and stable.

The best slicer i have found for use with it is KISSlicer, i have tried slic3r and CuraEngine, but they dont give anywhere near the quality i get from kiss.

Since i took this photo, i managed to burn out a hotend, when the thermistor became detached and the board drove it up to over 300 degrees. So i have removed one of the extruders while i wait for a replacement to arrive, that seems to again have improved quality. I was supprised as to how much of a difference that made, removing the weight of the extruder and motor. So my next project will probaly be a bowden conversion to cut the weight.

I will get some shots up of the output this weekend.
tshawkins
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)
Other CNC Info: Self build electronics

Return to 3D Printing with ZTW Filament and CNC

x