New 3d Build......Using the new Zen Tools Extruder

Here is a place we can talk about using ZTW CNC platform for 3D printing. Your experience with software setup, configuration for different type of filament and etc.

New 3d Build......Using the new Zen Tools Extruder

Postby Hawk » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Yep. We got to test the all new Zen Toolworks Extruder.

http://www.zentoolworks.com/index.php?cPath=45_46

This is the first of 2 builds. This build is to show that with the new extruder and backplate you can convert ANY Zenntools CNC to do 3d printing, even the low gantry models.

I am using a 12x12 for these builds. Xin has worked long and hard at designing an extruder and mount, that makes converting to 3d printing as painless as possible.
I am also using the Sanguiolou controller and hotbed also offered by Zen Tools. We are working hard on the Wiki to make installing the Sang and getting it configured as easy as posisble.
The hotend is from hotends.com, and mounted with just off the shelf parts.
We are working on our own hotend, but for now this hotend works very will with the new extruder.

First of all, I what you all to know that this extruder is a top quality, all metal, precision machined part. You WILL be impressed.......
Second, the new backplate makes it a snap to mount on any Zen Tool machine, High or low gantry.

I mounted the Sang right on the back. Following BJ's great work in the Wiki it was easy to get it all wired up and working properly.

Please excuse my sloppy wiring. I was going to show how you could do 3D printing, and still use the Zen for milling, using a standard controller and Mach3. Just unplug the steppers from the Sang (it just does not do will for milling), and plug them into the Mach3 controller.
But that got sidelined for now, we will try it again once we do the high gantry conversion.

Mounting the extruder was a snap. Just remove your spindle and spindle mounts, and bolt it right on.

Mounting the hotbed on a low gantry machine does take a bit. You will need to find shorter, lower compression springs to use. I found some At Ace, to it was easy from there.

Fulfillment is 1.75 ABS purchased from Zen Toolworks Amazon listings.

The hardest part part of the build, was that since I had absolutely NO experience with 3d printing, was getting the printer calibrated. We will be working in the Wiki on this. But for now with BJ's Help, and his great config files. it did come together quickly. And before ya know it....I was Printing PARTS.....

This is a guild pulley for the fulfillment.....

Since then I have off to the races.....

New drag chain for the Zen, My calibration cubes, a new yoke for one that got broke one one of my clocks, an 8mm nut...and even a snowflake......LOL

Now if an Old Fart like me, that had NO experince with 3D printing going in, can put this together and get great results like this.......ANYONE can........ :mrgreen:

In the coming weeks we will be converting to the high gantry.
And showing how to set it up for both printing and milling.

Till then..
Ken
Hawk
Forum Resident

Re: New 3d Build......Using the new Zen Tools Extruder

Postby rawkstar320 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Very cool, this is something I wll probably do when I build a larger CNC (I have a 7x7).

By the way...I see a wood gear clock back there...It looks similar to Brian Laws clocks? Clock 1 maybe?
Check out my Etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/WondrousWidgets

Interested in making your own machinable wax? Check out: http://www.instructables.com/id/Machinable-Wax/
rawkstar320
Forum Resident

Zen Model: Zen 0707
Other CNC Info: Zen 7x7 w Dremel 4000 and GRBL

Postby Hawk » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:24 pm

rawkstar:

Yep...modified brain Law Clock 1. In fact it is the one I printed the new yoke for....LOL
I am going to try to do a printed, plastic clock now too.

Should be a great adventure........ :lol:

The 7x7 would make a great small printer ya know.

Ken
Hawk
Forum Resident

Postby rawkstar320 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:20 am

Thats what I thought! I want to build a Brian Law clock on my CNC, I thin I should be able to fit all the gears with just barely any leftover room.

He has a 3D printed one, its for SLA but the concept is the same!
Check out my Etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/WondrousWidgets

Interested in making your own machinable wax? Check out: http://www.instructables.com/id/Machinable-Wax/
rawkstar320
Forum Resident

Zen Model: Zen 0707
Other CNC Info: Zen 7x7 w Dremel 4000 and GRBL

Postby Vongar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:32 am

Well Ken. I'm impressed with your skills and and capabilities with that machine. However I must confess I haven't the foggiest clue what that machine does, quite frankly. Nonetheless, you're enjoying it immensely, so that's all that matters.
One may surmise I am definitively not mechanically inclined. Which is very true. Anyway Ken, have fun with your creations and best of luck. Oh please post some more pictures of your projects as you gain more familiarization.
Take care young man.

Rich
Vongar
New User

Zen Model: None or Other

Postby Alchemist » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:56 pm

Here is alittle project Ken and I have been working on, it's a PROTO tool attachment for my thermwood at work.
Attachments
image (1).jpeg
Alchemist
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Postby abobotek » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:38 pm

Hawk,

Which hotend did you use? Could you post a closeup of the hotend and mounting?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
abobotek
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Return to 3D Printing with ZTW Filament and CNC

x