Conversion Check List

Here is a place we can talk about using ZTW CNC platform for 3D printing. Your experience with software setup, configuration for different type of filament and etc.

Conversion Check List

Postby ianmurchison » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:04 pm

So I just ordered a Zen 12x12 and I've had trouble figuring out exactly how to switch over to a 3D printer. The 12x12 is still in the mail on its way here but I'd like to start ordering the 3D Print parts I need.

Ideally I'd like to be able to swap between 3D and CNC fairly painlessly.

So from my understanding I will need the following:
http://www.zentoolworks.com/product_inf ... cts_id=198 Zen Toolworks 3D Extruder With Stepper
http://www.zentoolworks.com/product_inf ... cts_id=185 Dual MK1 HeatBed Package (Do I need the package? Does the 12x12 not comes with a power supply that will work?)

Things I think I need but I'm not 100% on:
Nozzle: I want the smallest possible tip (0.4mm?) what is the best one you buy that is compatible with the Zen Extruder?
Controller? Can I use the controller that comes with the 12X12? If not, do I have to buy this controller? http://www.zentoolworks.com/product_inf ... cts_id=189
Feeder motor?

Do I need anything else?
Will Mach 3 work for 3D printing?
ianmurchison
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Re: Conversion Check List

Postby ianmurchison » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:47 pm

Anyone know? I couldn't get an answer from Zen Tool Works. It would have been nice to buy the parts with the discount they were offering this weekend since I just missed the discount on the full 12x12 unit.
ianmurchison
Normal User

Postby Hawk » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:50 pm

The extruder comes with a .35 nozzle.

You will need the hotbeds to do ABS printing.

And you will need the Sang controller for printing.
You can do light milling with it also...

Sorry we were so late answering you questions..

Ken
Hawk
Forum Resident

Postby ianmurchison » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:01 pm

Thanks Ken.

Is it possible to be a dual heatbed package without the power supply? Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to buy a dual heat bed with the proper mounting. It's just adding a lot to the price and not needed since I already bought the full 12x12 package which has the same power source.

Also I'm assuming the mounts included for the 7x12 will work fine for the 12x12?
ianmurchison
Normal User

Postby Hawk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:17 am

You can run one bed on 24v. But 2 does require 36v.

And I misspoke in my last post. The Extruder does NOT come with the hot end. I got mine at hotends.com.

And I will take a pic of how I mounted my hotbeds and post it latter.

Ken
Hawk
Forum Resident

Postby ianmurchison » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:37 am

The 12x12 comes with the 36v supply though no?
ianmurchison
Normal User

Postby Hawk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:26 am

It does look the spindle comes with a 36v power supply, so you should be good to go there.
You will need the relay. Not a good idea to run 36v through the little Sang controller.

And if you write to Xin, zentoolworks@gmail.com, he is very good about putting special order packages together for people.

This is how I mounted my beds. It REALLY helps a bunch to spring-load the beds. And I do not think it would be a good idea to lay them right on the PVC table of the Zen anyway. They do get up to 110c .
I am only using one bed right now, but will have the other bed up and running later.

Hope that all helps you some....

Ken
Hawk
Forum Resident

Postby ianmurchison » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 pm

Awesome thanks for the info!
ianmurchison
Normal User

Postby roller » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:39 pm

If you are going to print in PLA you don't need a heated bed at all just print on Blue painters tape like shown. If you want to print ABS or on glass or Kapton you will need the heated bed (50C for PLA and as close if not over 100C that you can get).

The springs serve two purposes:
- To give the deck some give should you press the hot end into it (most are a little fragile especially after they are running for a while)
- To keep heat off the PVC.

I replace the spring on most of my printers with a silicon countertop mat (designed for putting hot pots on in the kitchen). It has a few advantages - it insulates and keep heat in so you don't lose heat downwards. It gives more consistent support across the base.

You can use Mach3 for milling but it isn't the easiest toolpath choice you can make and hotend and bed control needs to be either controlled externally with a PID or hooked up some other ways - there are a few ways to do it but all painful compared to Sanguinololu or RAMPS based controller and normal reprap toolpath.

The Sanguinololu can take 7-30V if you have the voltage regulator components installed - usually they are not from the ones I've seen (sorry I use RAMPS for all the printers I build).

My choice is to run the Zen TB6560 controller and Mach3 for milling and RAMPS for 3D printing with Slic3rPronterface. The reason - the toolpaths are easier - getting you job to gcode and working just how you want it is generally the painful part once you have a good setup. some nice plugs on your X/Y/Z steppers and home switches makes switching easy.

Ken where do you get the extruder comes with a 0.35 nozzle?? I don't see that Zen sell hotends at all (Ian the nozzle is part of your hotend). I recommend JHead and Makergear hotends for reliable printing and long life.
roller
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Postby Hawk » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Roller,

The hotend is a Jhead from http://www.hotends.com/
Xin is working on a hotend for the Zentools extruder, but so far we are getting better results with the Jhead.

I am useing ABS, and do have a piece of double strength glass, then the tape to print on. Seems to be working great so far.

Ken
Hawk
Forum Resident

Next

Return to 3D Printing with ZTW Filament and CNC

x