Slic3r.....new update

Here is a place we can talk about using ZTW CNC platform for 3D printing. Your experience with software setup, configuration for different type of filament and etc.

Slic3r.....new update

Postby Hawk » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:27 am

Having taken the plunge into 3D printing, it has become a very fun learning experience.
Over the past 2-3 weeks I have been working to refine my printer, and find what works, and what does not.

The First thing I learned, is that not all STL's are the same. Depending on what was used to generate the STL, it may or may NOT be printable.
The other thing I learned is a problem with Slic3r itself. It is a memory hungry program, and running it in a 32 bit sys with only 4 gigs of ram does not make it happy at all.
I have been running it on my Win 7 32 bit sys, but have being plagued with Slic3r crashes on large prints.
So I went to the Slic3r web site, and found that there was not only a 64 bit version, but there was a new update, 0.9.7. I have been running .0.9.3.

What a HUGE difference.
I have 8 gigs of ram in my main 64bit sys. And Slic3r will use every bit of it when starting to slice a large print.
Infills were changed, and they seem to be doing a way better job now.
I recommend that you get the update if you have not already done so.

On another note, has anyone ever got ReplicatorG to work with the Sang/Merlin combo...?
I found a machine/driver file that claimed it would work, but so far have been unable to get Rep to connect to my printer....

Ken
Hawk
Forum Resident

Re: Slic3r.....new update

Postby roller » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:28 pm

STLs need to be manifold to print. Most CAD programs don't deal with this well or the STL generating plugin tend to be a little lax. Run your STLs through netfabb to have the small errors fixed http://cloud.netfabb.com

RepG can run with Marlin but it lacks full support for Marlin features and really is a bit rubbish. I set it up - used it for two prints and never used it again. If you like the fuller graphical interface try Repetier http://www.repetier.com/ - you don't need to be running their firmware to use their host software.

I am a bit surprised by what you say about slic3r - i run it on a Mac but it's always been very light weight .. or are your models complex behemoths? Maybe 0.9.3 was a bad version.
roller
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Postby shippo0708 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:40 pm

@roller: one thing ive figured out between Mac and Win counterpart programs is the Mac ones are more "efficient" in a sense, they perform better (especially comparing DVD ripping lol)

I am currently happy with Slic3r 0.8.4, it works well for all of my prints :P

Im playing with Slic3r 0.9.7 and though it looks nice, it is a very moody thing.

@Hawk What kind of large prints do you try? Had any success with smaller objects?
shippo0708
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 0707
Other CNC Info: 3D Model

Postby roller » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:50 am

Some Slic3r versions prove to be a bit of a disaster. As you may have noticed the release cycle is short with versions coming thick and fast. I expect things will improve as there is some funding going into the project and Sound/Alessandro is no longer forced to do everything. Lot's of good things are promised. On the negative with slic3r it used to have very few options and was even easier to use but they still do a great job of weighing features against ease of use for new users.
roller
Forum Moderator

Postby Hawk » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:47 am

@Shippoo
I have trying to print some larger gears for a new hybrid clock. And there have been a couple of things I got at Thing-A that Slicer just had a fit with.
But the new update seems to have cured most of that.
But I have run into a new problem now. And that is with larger prints warping on the hotbed. I think I have found the reason, and have a solution.
But it will be a couple of weeks before I know for sure.

@roller

Thanks for the tip about repetier. I have not had time to play with it yet, but it does look interesting anyway.
And believe it or not, the one program I have found that produces the best stl for printing......
Is SketchUp........LOL
I have access to SoildWorks, but it does a TERRIBLE job with STL's.....
Even running them through netfabb will not fix them most of the time........

Ken
Hawk
Forum Resident

Postby roller » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Huh! I am surprised about Solidworks. Which version do you have? I live on Sketchup so I don't have too many issues though it is easy to make non manifold meshes with Sketchup if your model gets curves or too complex but netfabb does a good job.

BTW, are you using the cloud netfabb or the netfabb basic application. Cloud netfabb does a far superior job with no tweaking.

I am about to start using Rhino for future modelling - it has a reputation for making good models in all forms. There's even a CNC plugin that generates milling gcode straight from Rhino. From memory the plugin might have even support 4D and 5D CNCing too.
roller
Forum Moderator

Return to 3D Printing with ZTW Filament and CNC

x