Print speeds??

Here is a place we can talk about using ZTW CNC platform for 3D printing. Your experience with software setup, configuration for different type of filament and etc.

Print speeds??

Postby abobotek » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:04 pm

I'm printing at 50mm/s with printing acceleration limited to 50mm/s^2. The print speed limit I'm finding is an "acceleration vs print quality" tradeoff. If I go faster than this, there are significant overshoot artifacts visible in the print as the Zen carriages stabilize after rapid acceleration. [Note: this is not caused by play; it's damped oscillation.] Acceleration is limited by the rigidity of the unit rather than the power of the motors.

What speeds/accelerations are others using? Could you post your values and/or configs?

Here's my Marlin config:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {400,400,400,88} // default steps per unit for Zen
#define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE {50, 50, 50, 15} // (mm/sec)
#define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION {75,75,75,1000} // X, Y, Z, E mm/sec^2 maximum start speed for accelerated moves.
#define DEFAULT_ACCELERATION 50 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for printing moves
#define DEFAULT_RETRACT_ACCELERATION 1000 // X, Y, Z and E max acceleration in mm/s^2 for r retracts
#define DEFAULT_XYJERK 15.0 // (mm/sec^3)
#define DEFAULT_ZJERK 5 // (mm/sec^3)
#define DEFAULT_EJERK 5.0 // (mm/sec^3)
abobotek
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Re: Print speeds??

Postby roller » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:54 am

Try lowering you XYjerk and see if you can get away with higher acceleration. The will potentially speed up your prints but maintain you quality.

I am finding similar issues to you but my Zen is not stock and is oversized so I have greater issues with flex. Check back for my mods once I get them sorted as they should apply to other stock Zens too.
roller
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Postby wolfmanjm » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:04 am

Hi, I built my zen quite some time ago, it has been a good solid printer, although now I have two other printers, so I am returning my zen to a CNC configuration ;)

Anyway I run mine at 25mm/sec max, with 1000mm/sec^2 acceleration and xy jerk set to 5. Works nicely at that.

If I try to go faster than 35mm/sec it starts to loose steps.

I found a good steady print speed is 20mm/sec perimeters and 25mm/sec travel moves and infill. for good quality solid prints.

If I want speed I use my Delta printer :) If I want accuracy I use the Zen.
wolfmanjm
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 0707
Other CNC Info: 7x7 3d

Postby roller » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:49 am

Wow, almost a year after the previous post ... almost like an anniversary. Curiously, I too am converting the Zen back to CNC after it's been sitting idle for 9 months. It's getting a serious rigidity upgrade to mill aluminium - might keep the F20 screws and 269Ozin motors to see how it goes. Just a bit of a fun experiment.
roller
Forum Moderator

Postby wolfmanjm » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:13 pm

I'll be interestd to see how that goes, I am also lookign to mill some pretty thin aluminum plate, nit sure how well that will go. But the majority of uses will be PCB routing.
wolfmanjm
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 0707
Other CNC Info: 7x7 3d

Postby roller » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:01 am

I actually already have a 1200 x 600 (4'x2') CNC now that I designed as a Zen (7x12 or 12x12) friendly project. I ended up not doing it on the Zen as I had access to industrial machining for a week but I did some proof of concept on the Zen. I really should post some details.
roller
Forum Moderator

Return to 3D Printing with ZTW Filament and CNC

x