Custom Power Supply Case

You can post the images of your ZTW CNC setups, with a brief description.

Custom Power Supply Case

Postby BeakmanLabs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:03 am

I purchased my mill in May and have intended on contributing back to the forum since then because it helped me so much in my setup and initial research of my 7x12 mill. Unfortunately, the files that I created for this case were done on a 40 day limited version of SolidEdge, so hopefully it can perhaps inspire ideas or improved versions.

I picked up the plastic (acrylic I believe) at a local plastics shop. It was free because they considered the pieces I got to be scraps. I had different thicknesses, so I had to work around that in my design.

Side Panel.jpg
This is the side panel where the fan mounts. It is in the process of being milled.

I had some trouble milling the plastic. The bit would heat up and the material being cut would stick to the heated bit. This would create a glob of plastic that would eventually scrape the surface of the plastic along the edges of my cut. I did not remedy this problem to my satisfaction. I simply had to stop the machine to clear the globs occasionally. Vacuuming up the plastic bits occasionally did cause the bit to cool slightly, but I am all ears if anyone has a fix for this. I was milling at about 7000RPM, 400mm/min.

Front Panel.jpg
This is the front panel with most of the switches and holes milled.

Partially Assembled.jpg
This is the case partially assembled and the assembled parts drawn in SolidEdge.

I have created a youtube video to show the nearly finished project, and it shows how the parts fit into the case, and where the case will attach to the mill.
BeakmanLabs
Normal User

Zen Model: None or Other
Other CNC Info: Zen 0712

Re: Custom Power Supply Case

Postby johntech » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:45 am

It looks like you did a great job so far!! I had the same trouble milling plexiglas. From my experiences, fiddling with the feed rate seemed to fix the problem.

John
johntech
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Postby roller » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:55 am

Generally with plastic, especially acrylic, faster feedrate and lower spindle speed is best which minimises heat. More passes at less depth will also help. As you may not be able to slow your spindle sufficiently and you are already at max feedrate for standard screws you could try some cooling instead. I built a wall around my cut area with plasticine to for a dam and filled it with water. Alternately you can just stand there and keep spraying it with a water bottle. Not only will you save your bits and plastics, the cuts are so much cleaner.
roller
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Postby BeakmanLabs » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:27 am

I look forward to getting things back in working order so I can try out the suggestions. I created the motor speed controller specifically for milling plastic, so hopefully I can get it to work. Now I just need this school semester to end so I can take some guilt free time to do this stuff...
BeakmanLabs
Normal User

Postby augroups » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:57 pm

> was milling at about 7000RPM, 400mm/min.
Do you have a F8 lead screw? or regular M8x1.25mm lead screw?
augroups
Normal User

Zen Model: More than one

Postby BeakmanLabs » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:48 am

I have the F8 lead screw.
BeakmanLabs
Normal User

Postby BeakmanLabs » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:51 am

I have since started to use the technique described by 'roller' above using water. I drip beads of water using a syringe to the area being cut to cool the bit. The cutting quality improves tremendously and I no longer require the slower RPM that a spindle speed controller would provide.
BeakmanLabs
Normal User

Return to Customer Images

x