A 3D CNC... game? You Decide!

Informational news alerts about Zen Toolworks will be posted on this forum.

A 3D CNC... game? You Decide!

Postby calexander » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:49 pm

So, my favorite game engine Unity has finally release version 3.0 this morning. I've been waiting a long time for it and dove right in once I got it downloaded and installed.

I took the standard 7x7 3DS model I made and plopped it in, assigned some scripts to the 3 movable parts (axis) along with some Keyboard and Mouse inputs to control them. I haven't been developing in Unity in quite a while so I fumbled and stumbled my way through the coding, relearning syntax and whatnot.

I got the basics done and put it online to see what kind of performance I would get. The Unity3d plug-in has a tendency to run 25% CPU in Firefox, that's what I recorded just a few moments ago. Even when going to other tabs. But that's okay, I've got the visual settings on "Fantastic!" so I expect a little work on the CPU, and the application runs pretty smooth on my PC.

BUT -- I'm having trouble identifying a direction for it. I can create a animated demo of course, but I want something that is user controlled so they can "live the experience" as it were.

So check it out here (requires a Unity3D plug-in):
http://www.zentoolworks.com/games/cnc3d.html
Location and File names will most likely change in time.

So, what else can I do with this?
What would be fun or educational from a user's perspective, from YOUR perspective?

No limitations here -- let the creative juices and imagination fly in any direction!

http://www.unity3d.com/unity/
(highly recommended)
Last edited by calexander on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calexander
Zen Toolworks Official

Zen Model: More than one
Other CNC Info: 0707 1212 3DP

Re: A 3D CNC... game? You Decide!

Postby BoBoPrime » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:39 am

Very cool demo, Clint!
Perhaps you could allow a user to supply the GCode from a project and have them virtually create their project. You'd have to have the user specify 'home', material size, cutter type, etc. but it would be neat to see something experimental take shape before putting hands on something physical (especially for expensive materials).
BoBoPrime
Normal User

Postby calexander » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:45 am

Very Nice Idea! Some of those items are not to hard (time consuming though); others require quite a brainstorm to organize and figure out. Which means it's a must have! :)

Keep them coming!!
calexander
Zen Toolworks Official

Postby BoBoPrime » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:20 pm

How about using the table of the machine as a game board for something like, oh, Othello? Use the current controls to select the location on the board that you wish to place your next piece. I guess, Tic-Tac-Toe would be an easier one programming-wise (but less interesting).
BoBoPrime
Normal User

Postby calexander » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:48 pm

Hey, that's pretty cool, Dude. Maybe not the exact thing but something similar. Now that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for!!

Nice job!

[edit] It should be noted that development is all inclusive. I am not separating anything from this or that. I will most likely combine all ideas into one application. So the same CNC would play a few different games as well as help import/export GCode, perform "dry-runs", test home positions, etc.
calexander
Zen Toolworks Official

Postby calexander » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:25 am

I've updated this application so it can import GCode from a URL (web security prevents file uploads). You can switch the metric and orientation settings and reset the home position. Lots still to do and plenty of bugs to fix - but it's coming along.

Zen Toolworks Interactive CNC
http://www.zentoolworks.com/games/

Thoughts and/or Suggestions?

On my list of TODO (from memory):
  • Highlight the related toolpath line when selecting the gcode in the list<br>
    I would have had this already, but this became troublesome as my initial plan was unsupported in this engine
  • Enable the Run Job and Clear Job functions
  • Record manual movements as GCode and allow export/save
  • Allow direct editing of loaded GCode to make adjustments
calexander
Zen Toolworks Official

Return to News & Announcements

x