Bass Fishing Lure

Shared stories of success and failures from the novice to the professional.

Bass Fishing Lure

Postby Crazyju » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:45 am

This is the reason I purchased the Zen.

Two sided with holding tabs.

Sanded out the holding tabs

Finished with epoxy and hardware
Crazyju
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 1212
Other CNC Info: Fast 8s on the way

Re: Bass Fishing Lure

Postby Sparky » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 am

That's fantastic. Nice 3D carving and the end result looks absolutely professional. Can you describe the finishing process and how you got such realistic detail?
Sparky
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Postby Crazyju » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Sparky, the process is called photo finishing. I started with a picture of a blue gill. Using photo editing adjust the color hue print and print out on decal paper. It is then finished with a two part epoxy. I started making them about six years ago. I kinda got burned out with hand carving, thus the cnc. It was taking me close to two hours by hand and now about 10 minutes with the machine.
Crazyju
Normal User

Postby Sparky » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:16 pm

I wondered if it was a decoupage process since it was so realistic. I'd like to see more of your work. In fact I'd like to see more of everyone's work since it seems most of the postings cease after getting past assembly or functional issues. Those that are posted tend to quickly get lost in the forest of threads. Impressive items such as your sample should be on display. They're inspirational. Other than the gadget factor I suspect many buyers of these CNC machines do so to enhance their creativity.

Are you familiar with the Silhouette SD vinyl cutter? After mixed results from experimenting with a vinyl cutting attachment for the CNC, I bought one. The reason I mention it is because it has a feature where you can print an item such as your lure graphic with registration marks, feed it into the machine and it will detect the marks and cut it out precisely. Another nice thing about it is a free CorelDraw plugin so you aren't limited to propriety cutting file formats which most other machines require.

Do you use an ink jet printer and if so does the epoxy coating cause the ink to run, or is a fixative needed?
Sparky
Forum Moderator

Postby Crazyju » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:10 pm

I do use an inkjet, but it has never run. I am interested in the vinyl cutter. Do you have some pics of what it can cut? Can you cut out a paticular point on the material? For example I print a fish graphic on paper, Could i then put the paper in the cutter and have it cut out the preprinted graphic?
Crazyju
Normal User

Postby Sparky » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Funny, I'd forgotten about this one that I did last year for Cub Scouts. It's a fold and glue together paper model.
http://youtu.be/npidUpimETo
I'm not sure how clear the explanation is, but it's imported or drawn in CorelDraw and registration cross marks are added. It's printed then inserted on a tacky carrier sheet into the Silhouette SD where optical sensors read the registration marks for orientation and alignment. The rest is like the CNC operation except with a swivel knife. It's fast. I haven't tried it with decal paper, but I don't see why that wouldn't work. It cuts vinyl, card stock, cloth, etc. Cost was right at $200.
Papercraft.jpg
Sparky
Forum Moderator

Postby roller » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:31 pm

Wow that seems cheaper than I remember the Silhouette SD being last time i looked. Where was that from Sparky?
roller
Forum Moderator

Postby Sparky » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:39 pm

I bought it a year ago from USCutter via Amazon.com and caught it on sale as I recall. It's an impressive little machine.
http://www.uscutter.com/Vinyl-Cutters-43
Sparky
Forum Moderator

Postby jscook55 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:50 pm

@Crazyju:

Seriously nice work! What a great idea!
My site about DIY camera mounts: http://www.diytripods.com/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/JeremySCook
jscook55
Forum Resident

Postby Xin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Very nice and I really appreciate the sharing.

I am just thinking about what will be the best way to archive those projects from customers using ZTW CNC in a centralized place and properly categorize them, so that new folks can easily browse through and learn. Suggestions?

Thank you all.

Xin
zentoolworks@gmail.com
Xin
Zen Toolworks Official

Zen Model: More than one

Next

Return to Stories of Success & Failure

x