Saya (scabbard) clamps in ABS...and v-carving...

Shared stories of success and failures from the novice to the professional.

Saya (scabbard) clamps in ABS...and v-carving...

Postby jblakey » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:07 am

Hi Guys,

cut some clamps from ABS last night to secure my katana saya (scabbard) for engraving. The saya has a bit of an egg-shaped profile, so it's a bit tricky to clamp. Used a contour gauge to get the profile. Thought about how to attach a bit of padding (so as not to mark up the paint), and came up with a thin coat of silicone caulking - nice and soft, and should provide a nice grip as well. Gave the ABS a little bit of sanding before applying the caulk to help adhesion.

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG
Last edited by jblakey on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jblakey
CNC Addict

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Re: Saya (scabbard) clamps in ABS...used for v-carving...

Postby jblakey » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:29 am

Used my new saya clamps last night to do a test engraving last night... spotted three problems right away...

1. One layer of masking tape is not enough to fully protect the paint on the saya during probing. Will try two.
2. I can see errors during the cut over the most curved part of the work surface. GASJ's interpolation is planer, so this was probably to be expected. Will try upping the probe resolution to 1/64 of an inch to see if the output is acceptable.
3. There was some kind of clear coat or lacquer finish over the paint on the saya that slightly peeled/chipped during the cut. No idea how to fix this one.

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
DSC08120.JPG
DSC08119.JPG
DSC08104.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Re: Saya (scabbard) clamps in ABS...

Postby jblakey » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:39 am

Oh, forgot to include the pics showing the deformation of the z-axis with GADJ. You can see how it follows (mostly) the contours of the curve.

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
DSC08112.JPG
DSC08108.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Return to Stories of Success & Failure

x