Almost success: 12 X 12 3D with F8 Lead Screw

Shared stories of success and failures from the novice to the professional.

Almost success: 12 X 12 3D with F8 Lead Screw

Postby bwillemo » Sat May 05, 2012 6:11 am

Hi,

I just received my new ZTW machine. Have to say that I am very new to all this CNC stuff, so I am learning...

I almost finished building the mechanical part of the machine but wanted to double check with you guys. Actually following the pictures in the wiki to build the machine went quite well. Maybe too well and that's why I would like your advice. Every single step/part of the machine fitted perfectly during the build. Now, I am almost finished and there is one part that doesn't fit?!

I can't figure out if I did something wrong or if the part really doesn't fit.

ZTW problem annotated.jpg

The plate in the front can't be positioned correctly as the two parts can't come closer to each other. I don't know what is the name of the gold colored part (anti-backslash nut?) on the thread, but isn't that supposed to glide into the big whole? Is the whole (see arrow) too small? Or is the diameter of the anti-backslash nut bigger?

I guess making the whole a little bigger would eventually fix the problem, but I just want to be sure as all the other parts perfectly fitted...

Thank you, BW.
bwillemo
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Re: Almost success: 12 X 12 3D with F8 Lead Screw

Postby Arnell » Mon May 07, 2012 7:49 am

My guess is the bearing sleves are not pressed in all the way. They should be flush on the opposite side they are started on.

Hope this helps.
Arnell
Normal User

Postby Xin » Mon May 07, 2012 10:24 am

You will need to enlarge the center hole on #6 for 12x12 with F8 Z Axis. We usually do it but some how you got the one that has not been done. You can enlarge it with a file. If you have difficulty, we will do it and send it to you. Please let me know.

Thank you

Xin
zentoolworks@gmail.com
Xin
Zen Toolworks Official

Zen Model: More than one

Postby bwillemo » Tue May 08, 2012 5:42 am

Xin,

I did enlarge the hole a little and it fixed my problem.

Sorry that I had to bother you with that, but I build it based on the pictures without the description and have to say that you have to be very, very focused and checkout all the details of the pictures or you have to dismantle and do it again.

One part on the whole kit that doesn't fit still deserves an A+ for me.

Nice product, it's a pity that it is not very accessible for European people? Transport & import taxes is almost 50% of the price of the kit (at least for the 12x12 F8 3D). Looking for a European distributor?

Bernard.
bwillemo
Normal User

Almost success 12 X 12 3D with F8 Lead Screw

Postby antibzzz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:53 pm

Very nice, Its motivated me a lot ..

Really believe your self and do hard work. U will get success.

Thanks everyone ,
antibzzz
New User

Zen Model: Zen 0707

Postby Pmorel » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm looking at the picture you posted and it looks to me as the Z assembly is mounted backwards (180 degrees) in order for the plate to match up. Maybe I'm wrong, but if you look at the instruction posted on http://wiki.zentoolworks.com/index.php/ ... structions and paying particular attention to photos 60 - 75 those holes would be covered by the back plate.
PMorel
12x12
Locust Grove, GA
Pmorel
Normal User

Return to Stories of Success & Failure

x