Broken Motor coupler

Shared stories of success and failures from the novice to the professional.

Broken Motor coupler

Postby johntech » Mon May 28, 2012 10:58 am

Well it looks like those spiral motor couplers are one of the weak points of the machine so far.
I was in the middle of one of my current projects and I start hearing "click, click, click" and started
loosing steps in the Y axis. :o When the X axis started to move to make the cut I noticed it was
not in the right position. I stopped the machine and moved the axis's around and noticed that the Y
axis was making the CLICKING noise. That is when I found the motor coupling was broken. :x

Now I have to fine replacements as the motor side and leadscrew side are 2 different sizes. :?
John
johntech
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Re: Broken Motor coupler

Postby roller » Mon May 28, 2012 12:50 pm

Should be 5mm to 8mm if you have the 7" model as they have NEMA17 motors and it would be 6.35 (1/4") to 8mm if you have the 12" model as that has NEMA23. Obviously Xin should be able to sort you out but if you're in a mad hurry check for local Reprap (3D printer parts suppliers) and CNC part stockists as these are really common parts and sizes. You can probably hunt down one at a local hackerspace.

I'd offer up a list of suppliers but you probably don't wont them from Australia as you'd need to mount them upside down ;)
roller
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Postby johntech » Mon May 28, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks
Mine are 5mm to 6.35mm ! I am hoping I can find the replacement in the spider version.

I'd have to change Mach 3 to 3 hcaM and hang it from the celing .... but hey what ever I need to do! :lol:

John
johntech
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Postby skrubol » Tue May 29, 2012 11:12 am

The major diameter of the screws are 8mm, but the machined ends are 5mm.
skrubol
Forum Resident

Postby roller » Tue May 29, 2012 11:14 am

Aha. Oops - I forgot I have a non stock screw in my Y which I didn't get turned down ... hence the bad info. Sorry.
roller
Forum Moderator

Return to Stories of Success & Failure

x