Sooo close!

Shared stories of success and failures from the novice to the professional.

Sooo close!

Postby SpyderHelix » Mon May 28, 2012 9:43 pm

Hi all, new to the forums - just picked up a Zen 12x12 and got it pieced together..
Bought a TB6560 4 axis kit from China via ebay.. Had the electronic parts sitting in the box until I was finally able to get a machine, and thought now I can mount them!
Spent the first evening putting the machine completely together and mounting the motors..then Saturday came and it was time to hook the electronics up.
I've read that you need to check the power output of the PSU's so they aren't dialed over 24v, because it could fry the board - so I took my trust ohm meter out after plugging the 24v PSU in and...6 volts..
Say wha?
So I took the wires apart, cleaned the connections, put it back together and!...6 volts.
I leaned on the knowledgeable folk on another forum, and was told that maybe the supply needs a load before it would supply the proper voltage - so I hooked my board up, plugged the Z axis into it and measured the load across the DC outputs..4.10 volts!! *cussing like a sailor at this point*
I turned the pot next to the "on" LED to try and turn the voltage up, and it actually went *down* to 4.06 at its highest point. And the LED is so dim, I had to cover it with my hand (under a covered porch) just to see if it was on.
Mind you, I had bought the electronics back in February and as of Friday opened the boxes to get the goodies out to play with..so I don't foresee a PSU being "comped" at this point.

So, while I have heard some cautionary tales about buying this particular set, I have learned that CNC on a budget may not always be the best solution..

While I wait to see if I can nab another PSU, I am currently finding info out about limit switches, mounting my Estop and all the other accessories.

SO CLOSE! If it wasn't for a dang faulty supply I would already been making chips! *grrr*
I look forward to being able to see what these machines are capable of! I have more ideas rolling around inmy head than I have time to jot them down on paper, or model them in solidworks! lol
SpyderHelix
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Re: Sooo close!

Postby roller » Tue May 29, 2012 11:12 am

Just check your power supply isn't switched to 220-250V if you live in a 110V part of the world. Some suppliers set all their stock to 220V because it's safer in that you wont destroy the PSU if you hook it up without checking. I learned my lesson more than once many years ago especially building PCs.
roller
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Re: Sooo close!

Postby SpyderHelix » Wed May 30, 2012 12:41 am

The wife took it to work with her today and found the problem - turns out there were 2 resistors on the board that were broken when they tried putting the transformer coil on - she put a couple new ones on and wha-la! I am now running 23.8 volts :D
Now, I need to figure out how to set the board up and I will be good to go!
SpyderHelix
Normal User

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Return to Stories of Success & Failure

x