Inital set up problems

Shared stories of success and failures from the novice to the professional.

Inital set up problems

Postby IVARTON » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Hello and thank you for looking.
I just went through hooking up my [ELECTRONICS] and my motors don't seem to be working right. I followed the instructions and hooked up the electronics and I don't think I missed anything.
The motors are making a weird grinding noise and they all react when I try to jog them from Mach 3. Sometimes only one motor will move and sometimes it will move and then reverse direction on the next move. They are also getting hot.
I used the settings on the wiki page, but I must have missed something.

I'm fairly new to this and would LOVE to get this thing up and running as soon as possible so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you .
IVARTON
Normal User

Re: Inital set up problems

Postby IVARTON » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:40 pm

So far this is what I have:
X sounds like its crackling when I hold it to my ear.

Jogging X:
Makes Y jerk and jitter
Makes Z turn in one direction

Jogging Y:
Makes X jerk and jitter
Z does nothing

Jogging Z:
Makes X and Y both jump and vibrate.

They seem to spin and change direction consistently though.
IVARTON
Normal User

Postby rawkstar320 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:09 pm

I responded to your post on CNC zone as well, but here is my list of things to double check:

1.) Are you using the 7x7 or ?? The 7x7 uses 1.6amp stepper motors. The DEFAULT setup for those TB6560 is 2.5 amp. This equalls SUPER hot motors (and probably dead motors if you dont fix it fast) There are some DIP switches on the sides of the controlers - set them to the lowest setting (0.8amp?). You can always bump it up later. My machine works fine at 0.8 amps.

2.) While your down there...Check the DIP settings for microstepping. If they are set to where you want them, switch them, and switch it back. Maybe the DIPs didnt engage correctly. (I am using 8x)

3.) This is probably GRBL/Arduino specific, but it is important to note that by telling to the controller to go to "x10" means it will travel to x=+10. Then, if you input "x15" it will NOT go to x=+25. It will go to X=+15. It took me a while to figure out why they motors would be 10mm one time, then only 5mm the next - then 50 when I typed x-25! (G1 commands the machine to move to the designated location, in relation to 0,0,0)

Thats all I can think of for now. If you have your stepper motor SPEED too high, they will scream and not move (not enough torque?)
Check out my Etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/WondrousWidgets

Interested in making your own machinable wax? Check out: http://www.instructables.com/id/Machinable-Wax/
rawkstar320
Forum Resident

Zen Model: Zen 0707
Other CNC Info: Zen 7x7 w Dremel 4000 and GRBL

Postby AKA » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:12 pm

Apologies if you have already thought of this, but I see that behavior in my steppers when there's electrical noise getting to the power supply.

For example, I live in an old house with bad wiring, so if I have my Dremel (whose brushed motor creates a lot of back EMF) plugged into the same circuit as my stepper drivers, I see lots of noise. I ended up getting an extension cord and running the Dremel line to another circuit, but you might also be able to try a ferrite bead or some other remedy...

Good luck,

AKA
Hardware: 7x7 CNC with Dremel rotary tool and F8 XY leadscrews
Electronics: CamBam -> GRBL on Arduino Uno to three EasyDrivers
AKA

Zen Model: Zen 0707

Return to Stories of Success & Failure

x