Moveable Clamps

Shared stories of success and failures from the novice to the professional.

Moveable Clamps

Postby rawkstar320 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:23 am

The number 1 most frustrating aspect of starting a new CNC project (in my opinion) is the time it takes just to get set up before you can actually start your project. Machining the bed flat, milling holes to add clamps, not having enough room for clamps...

Problem solved! I had some 1/2" HDPE stock so I milled a block 3/4" by 2" with (3) holes. The center hole is milled down 3/8" in a "hex" shape to hold a 6mm nut, while the top side is counter bored for some screws I keep laying around. (#8 I believe). To install the clamp holder, I just set the block where I want it, drill (2) 1/8" holes with the hand drill and BAM! clamps. Anywhere. Any angle. Now I can get set up for a project faster than ever!

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0777.JPG

If you decide to make your own, please post some pictures!
Attachments
Hex_Clamp_Mount_Dims.DXF
(29.8 KiB) Downloaded 1108 times
Check out my Etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/WondrousWidgets

Interested in making your own machinable wax? Check out: http://www.instructables.com/id/Machinable-Wax/
rawkstar320
Forum Resident

Zen Model: Zen 0707
Other CNC Info: Zen 7x7 w Dremel 4000 and GRBL

Re: Moveable Clamps

Postby johntech » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:35 pm

That looks great!! I'll have to check into them and make a set!
Thanks

John
johntech
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Re: Moveable Clamps

Postby jblakey » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:25 am

nice! I find clamping one of the more challenging bits of CNC work also. I've been trying to work on sword scabbard, and build a good, solid clamping system for an irregular ellipse cross-section that doesn't mar the paint finish is quite tricky. I'm currently working on ScabbardClamp version 4:)

Btw, Metric wing-nuts (M6) are pretty cheap on eBay, just bought a bunch from a guy in Montreal. Makes life a lot easier.

Thanks
jason
jblakey
CNC Addict

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Return to Stories of Success & Failure

x