Inlaid Truss Cover for my Banjo Using Guitar Picks

Shared stories of success and failures from the novice to the professional.

Inlaid Truss Cover for my Banjo Using Guitar Picks

Postby jblakey » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:32 am

Bought a second-hand banjo a little while ago, but it seemed a little plain, so I thought I'd make a new truss cover for it (it doesn't need one, but it just seemed strange not to have one).

Bought a bunch of celluloid guitar picks from the local guitar shop (i think it was 20 for 5 bucks). On eBay, you can get a hundred assorted for that, but I didn't want to wait the two months:)

It turns out that celluloid machines fine with my .6 mm endmills. And the ABS that I used for the base also machines fine (never a problem with ABS).

A bit of hand filing, a little super-glue, some 1000 grit sanding, and it's done. Two things I learned doing this probject:

1. Sanding celluloid smells like camphor! 'Cause it's make with camphor!:)
2. Scotch 'yellow package' permanent double-sided tape is excellent stuff. Removes cleanly without residue and holds really well. Awesome stuff. And it's at Walmart (and even some dollar stores).

First couple of tries were just too dark, so I lightened things up as much as possible. The final one really 'pops'.

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1024.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Zen Model: Zen 0712 (Ext. Mod)

Re: Inlaid Truss Cover for my Banjo Using Guitar Picks

Postby jblakey » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:33 am

Some more pics...

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
IMG_1127.JPG
IMG_1115.JPG
IMG_1046.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Postby johntech » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:55 pm

Very impressive !! Great designs too.

P.S. have you ever done pc boards on the ZTW? I remember a while back some one had a program that would map the board thickness before milling out the board.
I thought I had it book marked but I guess not. Maybe if I used the "yellow" tape then I may not need it.

Thanks and Great work!!

John
johntech
Forum Moderator

Zen Model: Zen 1212

Postby jblakey » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi John,

I did some work mapping a toolpath to an uneven surface using a probe. I now use masking + aluminum tape and a conductive probe (my bit) combined with the Autoleveller software. Works nicely, giving good results. Probe and cut happens in the same run, many less steps to go wrong.

http://www.autoleveller.co.uk/

Thanks,
jason
Attachments
IMG_1089.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG
jblakey
CNC Addict

Return to Stories of Success & Failure

x