Spindle control with TB6560

All types of topics and discussions can be found here.

Spindle control with TB6560

Postby reproparts » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:56 am

Has anyone been able to use Mach3 to control spindle on/off with the new TB6560 board Zen provides with the kit? I assume it requires a separate relay unlike the older board. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
reproparts
Normal User

Re: Spindle control with TB6560

Postby calexander » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:22 pm

Your assumption would be correct - always run a 5v relay on any input to the card. However, the older board also requires a relay. It may have worked without one but the board would have soon burnt due to the unsupported current it was handling.

The board should only handle 5-9VDC and any relay switch connected should be using the boards voltage on one half of it, while the other half is running the different voltage/current attached to your component (sensor or spindle)

Here is a mockup I just created for this. Hopefully this sheds some light on the "how to"...

calexander
Zen Toolworks Official

Zen Model: More than one
Other CNC Info: 0707 1212 3DP

Postby reproparts » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Thanks but I don't see "R2" anywhere on the board. If I understand the servo boards I have researched they require a voltage plus a signal, controlled by mach3, to trigger the relay. Where does that signal voltage come from the TB6560 board?
reproparts
Normal User

Postby calexander » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:08 pm

R2 and R2 are not identified on the card (I should have been clear on that). They simply indicates the two ports you plug the spindle relay into.

There is a relay switch built on the board and it is an open gate (or NO for normally open). This gate becomes closed by sending a current through it (5-7vdc) when the software wishes to turn the spindle on.

This is why the two relays are reversed in the diagram as the card is the controlling factor for the spindle, and the sensors are the controlling factor for the card.
calexander
Zen Toolworks Official

Postby reproparts » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:26 pm

Thanks Clint. One last question...when you say "there is a relay switch built on the board" are you referring to the Zen TB6560 board because I don't see that in any of the documentation. Or are you saying I can use the home/limit ports to output the 5V to the relay, triggered by Mach3?
Thanks,

Andrew
reproparts
Normal User

Postby calexander » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:58 pm

Hmm. I may have been confused and led you on a goose-chase then. You are referring to the Univelop board I think, which does not have a spindle control on it. The "newer" Zen card (believe it or not) is the one with the enclosure, while the Univelop card is from CNC Geeker and has been on the market for quite a while.
They both run 3x6560 chips but we sell the enclosure on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Axis-Stepper-Moto ... 363&sr=8-4

I have to admit, choosing the word to identify one card to the other can be a bit of a challenge, especially for my feeble mindlessness. :)
calexander
Zen Toolworks Official

Postby reproparts » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Ok I have the 2010 board with enclosure now and connected a relay (CNC4PC C37) to the spindle motor. It turns on just fine using the spindle on/off toggle in Mach3 diagnostics screen but it won't turn off. The Wiki for this board isn't complete, "coming soon", so the part about setting up the relay in Mach 3 has a missing image. I followed the Mach 3 tutorial but still only turns the motor on. Any help would be appreciated. I checked the voltage at the relay out on the 2010 board and it is 4.96 when toggled on and drops to .25 volts when toggled off. Once I toggle it on I can unplug the board relay out and the spindle turns off when I plug it back in it turns back on without toggling. Very strange. Thanks
reproparts
Normal User

Postby kjj » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:37 am

Strange. My first thought was that the CNC4PC C37 has a latching relay, but that really doesn't make sense either. And from the pics on the website, they are using a diode to short back-EMF when the coil releases, so you can't drive it backwards anyway.

Just to double check, you have relay+ on the Zen box wired to IN on the C37, and relay- wired to GND (paired with IN, not the other one). Your spindle power supply (probably 12 volts) is connected to V_in. And the red wire on the spindle itself is connected to NO. Right?

I don't know the C37 board, but it looks like the 5V and GND pair are only used for the LEDs. If I'm right, you can leave those disconnected.

If you have everything disconnected from the C37, you should get continuity from V_IN to NO, and not from V_IN to NC, and not from NO to NC. Then hook up the relay+ and relay- from the Zen box to the IN and GND terminals on the C37 (+ to IN, - to GND). You should have continuity from V_IN to NC when you tell the software to turn the spindle on. When the spindle is off, you should have continuity from V_IN to NO again.
kjj
Normal User

Postby kjj » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:51 am

Say, while I'm on the subject of relays and diodes, does the 2010 control box with the enclosure have a diode built in across the spindle relay output pins, or do I need to include one in my control box?
kjj
Normal User

Postby CanAm1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:35 am

Hello All,

I've been in electronics since the early 70s (ya, I'm an old fart) and one always uses a diode with a relay. Here is an explanation on why:
Current flowing through a relay coil creates a magnetic field which collapses suddenly when the current is switched off. The sudden collapse of the magnetic field induces a brief high voltage across the relay coil which is very likely to damage transistors and ICs. The protection diode allows the induced voltage to drive a brief current through the coil (and diode) so the magnetic field dies away quickly rather than instantly. This prevents the induced voltage becoming high enough to cause damage to transistors and ICs.

Reproparts, you may have a short or things wired incorrectly. If you have almost 5 volts, that's enough to trigger the relay. The .25 volts when off will not hold a relay on. What type of relay do you have? There are latching relays out there that once energized require a switch of sorts to deenergize..
I have one of the new driver boxes (2010) and mine worked from the get-go..

Mark
CanAm1
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions

x